Acceledent is a technology that lessens the time a patient will need to undergo orthodontics by helping the teeth move into alignment.
It is worn like a sports mouthguard over the braces or Invisalign for 20 minutes a day.
Micro-pulses are sent into the teeth and underlying bone to help them straighten with a motion similar to that of an electric toothbrush but more gentle.
The process has been around since 2009 and has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
Not only does the Acceledent system help align the teeth and improve the bite more quickly, but patients report that it makes orthodontics more comfortable. They often describe it as a soothing massage for your teeth!
Here are more interesting facts about the Acceledent Aura system:
- Acceledent can only be obtained through a doctor’s prescription.
- The patient will need to use the device for the full 20 minutes to get the full effect. Using it for longer than 20 minutes won’t speed up the process or confer any extra benefits; however, some patients use it more often for comfort.
- If the session needs to be interrupted for some reason, the device will remember how many minutes are left as long as the interruption doesn’t last for more than five minutes.
- Acceledent needs to be recharged every three days. The patient shouldn’t wear it while it’s being recharged. It uses a lithium ion battery that’s made for use in medical devices.
- The mouthpiece should be washed in lukewarm water with either mild dish detergent or even toothpaste after every use. It can then be air dried. However, it shouldn’t be put in a dishwasher because this will damage the device and cause the warranty to be voided.
- The device shouldn’t be worn while the patient sleeps or when he or she is taking a shower.
Gorton and Schmohl Orthodontics is pleased to offer Acceledent for their patients whether they are in Invisalign or braces for the most efficient and comfortable orthodontic experience possible. For a consultation, please call (415) 459-8006 or contact us here.