Welcome, we’re so glad you’re here! As the premier orthodontists in Marin County, we take pride in offering the best treatment options and service to our patients. All of our doctors at Gorton & Schmohl are Board Certified by the American Board of Orthodontics, which exists to establish and maintain the highest standards of clinical excellence in orthodontics.
Although many orthodontists initiate the process to achieve temporary certification, only about 35% of all U.S. Orthodontists present their cases to complete the voluntary board certification process, with a slightly lower certification rate in Marin County. This certification, along with the continued education our doctors and staff partake in ensures you’ll receive the latest, most innovative treatment available!
We specialize in pediatric orthodontics and our treatment philosophy is simple: the most natural way of treatment is often the best option for our patients. We strongly believe that keeping all the permanent teeth is important to achieve a healthy and balanced smile and facial structure in the long term and, for this reason, our approach to orthodontics is to minimize the extraction of teeth. When indicated, we work to modify a child’s growth pattern while they are still young to minimize the need for surgery or more invasive treatment later.
Our practice is unique in that our extensive experience with progressive treatment options can minimize the need for surgery, reduce exposure to allergens/radiation, and achieve excellent results in a shorter amount of time. We take pride in the health and confidence our services provide for our patients. You can find out more information about our treatment options on our website at www.marinortho.com.
Early Screening Saves Time & Money
Although most patients begin treatment in their preteens, it’s invaluable to know in advance the extent of treatment they’ll need. The American Association of Orthodontics recommends that every child be screened by an orthodontist at age 7. For children who have significant jaw discrepancies or severe crowding, early treatment is the only way to achieve an optimal final result long term and to minimize the need for jaw surgery.
At Gorton & Schmohl, we prefer to offer early treatment to those patients who have a functional need for it. Early screening can save you and your child time, money, and effort if your child faces any issues such as tooth decay, alignment issues, or temporal mandibular joint disorder. Screening for these issues early on could mean avoiding costly and painful surgeries. If your child is 7-years-old or older and hasn’t seen an orthodontist yet, visit our website at www.marinortho.com to schedule your complimentary consultation today!
Services We Offer
Gorton & Schmohl offers a variety of treatment options for many common orthodontic ailments. We’ll consider every option, walk you through your child’s treatment plan and remain in communication throughout, in case any questions should arise:
- Teeth Straightening — Along with traditional braces, we offer a variety of teeth straightening regimens to fit your child’s lifestyle! Other options include clear braces, Invisalign, WideSmiles, expanders, retainers and more! Our doctors first achieved “Top 1% Provider” recognition from Invisalign in 2006 and were directly involved in developing Damon System braces, which patients report feel less tight and more comfortable. Whatever correction your child needs, you will be able to select from an array of options!
- Pediatric Sleep Apnea — Does your child snore, gasp, or snort in their sleep? Do they suffer from neck hypertension, experience excessive sweating at night, or have trouble waking up in the morning? Your child may be suffering from sleep apnea, which reduces the quality and time they’re asleep, which can negatively affect your child in many ways. At Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics, we are especially mindful of the importance of screening our pediatric patients for possible sources of labored breathing during sleep. There is an increasing awareness that breathing difficulty during sleep in children can be improved when addressed with early orthodontic treatment as a stand-alone therapy or in conjunction with other therapies prescribed by your child’s physician.
- Laser Gum Treatments — We were the first orthodontists in Marin County to incorporate a soft tissue Diode Laser into our treatment plans to improve soft tissue treatment results. Sometimes there is too much gum tissue covering a tooth if it erupts into the wrong position, if a patient breathes primarily through their mouth, or if there is difficulty with maintaining brushing and flossing with braces on. We can use the laser to allow placement of a bracket in the correct position, remove overgrown tissue for a healthier oral environment, or to uncover the teeth so that they can be seen in the finished smile!
- Habit Appliances — Common childhood habits such as thumb sucking or those with anterior tongue thrust can cause long term damage and misalignment. We offer appliances, such as tongue trainers and thumb guards, that curb these habits in a non-punitive way. Our philosophy is to treat a reflex with a reflex. These applications can quickly resolve damaging habits which will prevent the need for more invasive correction later on.
The Latest Technology in Orthodontics
Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics has regularly been a pioneer in technological advancements made in the field, increasing the comfort and safety of our patients:
- 3D Scanning & Printing — Say goodbye to pesky, messy impressions forever! We use a laser scanner to take a 3D digital scan of your child’s teeth and bite. We then transmit the digital file wirelessly to a 3D printer which prints a 3D model of their teeth which we use to make a custom retainer or aligner. No gooey mess associated with impression materials! This allows the patient to breathe and swallow naturally, avoid unpleasant taste, and involves no radiation exposure. The use of the scanner also results in faster delivery times for personalized Invisalign treatment plans.
- Safer X-Rays — These days radiation exposure from orthodontic and dental x-rays is very low, especially with the change to digital radiography from analog radiography. However, we are still very careful and judicious in our use of x-rays. At Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics, we take a low-dose digital 3-dimensional x-ray called a CBCT (which stands for cone-beam computed tomography). This enables us to completely visualize and evaluate the erupted and unerupted teeth, jaws, jaw joints, and airways of each patient and plan their orthodontic treatment appropriately. We use a leaded thyroid shield designed to prevent radiation exposure to the thyroid gland and prevent transmission of radiation to the reproductive organs.We are concerned about radiation safety for every patient and staff member, which is why we use only the latest methods and technology!
- Accelerated Tooth Movement Technology — Reduce time in braces with AcceleDent, Propel, or OrthoPulse! These state-of-the-art techniques encourage tooth growth and alignment through a variety of methods. Some can be done from the comfort of your home over a period of time, such as with AcceleDent, while others can be performed in our offices, such as Propel. Any of these treatments can fast track your child’s teeth alignment meaning less time spent in braces!
They’ll Never Dread an Appointment
Teeth straightening and related procedures are often associated with discomfort and while some of this is unavoidable, our friendly staff are the best at what they do and will ensure your and your child’s comfort every step of the way. From your complimentary consultation to your final appointment and beyond, we’re here for you and any questions you may have!
We aim to create a warm, informal atmosphere where our patients can relax and trust they’re in good hands. We welcome parents, siblings, and friends to join the patient in the treatment area at any time during appointments. Enjoy the fresh air by the living wall in the treatment area, have a seat in reception, or relax in our outdoor courtyard.
Beautiful Smiles for the Right Price
We never want the cost of treatment to prevent any patient from pursuing the best course of action for them. For this reason, Gordon & Schmohl Orthodontics has partnered with OrthoFi to make sure that you can comfortably pursue whichever orthodontic treatment plan is best for you, even offering the option of extending payments beyond the estimated treatment time. Additionally, we offer a family courtesy for all siblings and even parents interested in treatment!
Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics Your Marin Orthodontist
900 Larkspur Landing Circle, Suite 200
Larkspur, CA 94939
Text or call us at 415 459 8006
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation Today!
Call or text us today at (415) 459-8806, send us an email at [email protected], or visit our website at www.marinortho.com to schedule your complimentary new patient consultation! After your visit, we’ll follow up with a preliminary diagnosis and treatment plan designed specifically for your child to get them on their way to a “WOW Smile” in no time!