Devices that Speed-Up Treatment (Explained!)
Last Updated on
Devices that Speed-Up treatment. The one similarity among many human beings is the fact that no one frowns upon the notion of a beautiful grin. The reality, however, is that not so many people are thrilled about having to use braces for years in order to attain a straight smile. For many adults and teenagers alike, receiving the news that orthodontic treatment may take as much as three years for you to notice results often tends to be a very bitter pill to swallow.
In the case of a teenager, their orthodontic treatment can in many cases take up a huge portion of their lives. But there is good news on the horizon, as orthodontists have now come up with methods that can be used to Speed-Up treatment. One such process is known as AcceleDent Aura.
The method is not only effective in improving the efficiency of your braces, but it also assists in reducing the treatment time scale. Below is a look at how it works.
AcceleDent Aura Basics
In the course of your orthodontic treatment, the Invisalign or the braces will slowly start to pull all your teeth into their correct positions using aligners or wires. This is a new piece of technology that has recently been approved by the FDA, and which is designed to help speed-up the customary orthodontic treatment.
It does this by releasing small pulses that pulsate the tiny tissues that surround your teeth. By doing this, it is able to reduce the bone remodeling time scale. In short, what this means is that the vibrations occurring in your gums helps speed-up teeth movement ensuring that the teeth get to occupy their proper positions much sooner.
When using this system, the orthodontist will typically prescribe a mouthpiece for each patient. The mouthpiece once complete is to be inserted over the Invisalign aligner or over your braces. The patient will need to ensure that they wear the mouthpiece for a minimum of twenty minutes every single day.
The pulses emitted by the mouthpiece will help facilitate and encourage teeth movement, thus, speed-up treatment. In the long run, it gets to reduce the amount of time that is spent on treatment. As well as reduce pain experienced by the patient in the areas that are being treated. The device generates gentle vibrations that are very similar to those experienced when brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush.
You have nothing to worry about as this kind of fast-tracked orthodontics is considered by the professionals to be non-invasive and as such very safe. You should note that this device can only work when it is used together with orthodontic treatment.
The reason for this being that the aligners or the braces will be responsible for providing the force that is required to assist your gums correct the existing bite irregularities.
What Are the Benefits of Using This Technology?
Using this new technology is likely to expose the orthodontic patient to a number of advantages such as:
- You only need to use the device for twenty minutes each day. By doing so, you get to shorten your orthodontic treatment by as much as 50%
- It is lightweight and very comfortable
- The system helps reduce the treatment time without compromising on the results that will be achieved
- It is hands-free making it very convenient. This also means that you can watch television or read your favorite magazine or book as the device is working
- It can be used with many modern-day braces
- It is available for use by both adult and adolescent patients
How to Get Started with This Technology
If you are an orthodontic patient looking to use this device to help you shorten the treatment process, you should take the following factors into consideration:
- You need to maintain consistency and ensure that the device is utilized each day as has been directed by your orthodontist.
- Always ensure that the device is fully charged prior to use. You can charge it through the night by attaching it to an electrical wall outlet or to your computer.
- This device should only be used once a day. Each session should last for approximately twenty minutes. Note that the device comes with an inbuilt lifespan or approved number of daily uses (18 months). This means that using it more than the recommended times will gradually shorten its life-cycle.
- When the device is fully charged, you can use it for a total of 3 sessions without having to recharge it again.
- You do not have to worry about forcing your jaw to take up a given position so that it can accommodate this particular mouthpiece. You need to relax and keep in mind that the device has been designed to be hands-free. Therefore, there is no need for you to keep holding the activator when using the device.
- The device is in no way water resistant or waterproof. It should, therefore, not be allowed to come into contact with any water or moisture.
- When using it, you just need to bite into it very gently. This ensures that you are applying sufficient force to help retain it in your aperture. Your teeth do not all have to come into contact with the device as those that are already in contact with it will send the pulses to all the neighboring fangs.
- To clean it, make sure that it has been detached from its activator and use tap water to rinse it. To avoid damaging the activator, make sure that you use a clean, soft cloth to clean it after each session.
- When you finish the treatment, you can dispose of the device in the same way that you would get rid of an electronic device.
Additional Ways to Accelerate Your Treatment
There are smaller steps that can be taken in conjunction with using this device to further Speed-Up treatment, e.g.,
- Avoiding chewy foods that are likely to bend the brackets
- Ensuring that you cut your food into small bite-sized pieces
- Following a proper hygiene routine to keep the teeth clean
Contact us Today
If you have any questions regarding orthodontic treatment in Marin County, be sure to contact Dr. Sona Bekmezian, Dr. Bill Schmohl, and Dr. Jasmine Gorton, the UCSF-trained doctors who run Gorton & Schmohl Orthodontics in the San Francisco Bay area. They can help you Speed-Up treatment and complete a perfect smile in no time.
Like what you read? Comment below or CLICK on an APP LOGO to follow us and share the conversation
900 Larkspur Landing Circle
Suite 200 Larkspur
Devices that Speed-Up Treatment (Explained!)
Dr. Jasmine Gorton, a Bay Area native, graduated from UC Berkeley with Bachelor degrees in both Integrative Biology and Social Sciences and then went on to graduate from Harvard with honors for her Doctorate in Dental Medicine.
She continued her education at UCSF with a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Growth and Development, followed by an Orthodontic Residency with a Master of Science in Oral Biology.